Understanding Silhouettes: Exemplary Commitment in BanswaraDecember 4, 2017
Awareness program on the occasion of World Soil DayDecember 6, 2017
According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO):
- Soil holds three times as much carbon as the atmosphere and can help us meet the challenges of a changing climate
- 815 million people are food insecure and 2 billion people are nutritionally insecure, but we can mitigate this through soil.
- 95% of our food comes from the soil
- 33% of our global soils are already degraded
Here at VAAGDHARA during Word Soil Day we are conducting an awareness campaign in several villages within 4 blocks of the Banswara district. The villages include Jeeva Khuta in Sajjangarh Block, Bada Talab and Sundrav villages in Anandpuri Block, village Amali Pada in Kushalgarh Block, Lalpura Village in Ghatol block, and Amar Pura villiage in Ghatol block. At each village, our field coordinators discussed the importance of treating our soil appropriately. The sessions align the spiritual beliefs of the tribal communities with soil preservation and enrichment practices.
The topics discussed include:
- Proper soil treatment
- Various ways in which soil plays a role in our lives (Farming, playing, living)
- Organic Manure
- Livestock and animal husbandry and the role animals play in our ecosystem and our relationship with soil
- Awareness of the effects of chemical treatment and the importance of being conscious of which chemicals we use to treat our soil
- Role water plays in our lives in conjunction with soil, as well as the importance of water preservation.
Finally, we take an oath together acknowledging the importance of soil in our lives and promise to take care of soil to the best of our abilities in the future.